Have you ever wondered if bloodhounds can swim? Since many people asked me about that, I decided to craft awesome content just for you. You can get an in-depth idea about swimming skills and gain knowledge of your puppy.
Can bloodhounds swim? Yes, but they aren’t excellent swimmers like water breeds. Their body structure and behaviors are main obstacles to becoming good swimmers. Proper training, positive reinforcement, patience, perseverance, consistency, and some other proven tactics can be proper solutions.
But allowing your dog to swim can have both drawbacks and benefits. Moreover, the dog swims depend on your handling skills, attempt, skills, and dealing method with your pet. So, let’s dive right in.
Table of Contents
- 1 Can bloodhounds swim like a water dog?
- 2 Why aren’t bloodhounds natural swimmers?
- 3 How to Teach Bloodhounds to Swim?
- 4 What to Keep in Mind When Your Bloodhound Go for A Swim?
- 5 Can bloodhounds swim in chlorine pools?
- 6 Do bloodhounds have a fear of water? If so, how to overcome it?
- 7 Can bloodhounds track through water?
- 8 Things to be aware
- 9 Conclusion
5 Dog Languages Every Dog Parent Sh...5 Dog Languages Every Dog Parent Should KnowCan bloodhounds swim like a water dog?
Unfortunately, Bloodhounds can’t swim like a water dog. But some of them like wading into shallow water to play or cool down on a hot day.
Bloodhounds mostly like to swim in the swimming pool. Especially, don’t let them swim in the river or some more deep places.
Normally they can’t swim for a long time in the swimming pool. When they swim more, they get tired easily. Its cause affects the immune response. As dogs get old, their immune system can become weakened.
If you are a bloodhound’s owner, you can train your dog to swim because their legs are too strong than other breeds, and you can easily train your dog because they are very friendly with people.
Why aren’t bloodhounds natural swimmers?
They have different behaviors and body features than other breeds. Bloodhounds have a wrinkled face, drooping eyes, and long eyes that help draw odors up from the ground.
So, they are mainly used for searching for things and work as a friendly dog with people.
As bloodhounds used to be hunting dogs in the past, they have an exceptionally large skeletal structure with much of their weight concentrated in their bones, which are very dense in length.
Conversely, bloodhounds have a natural dislike for water and avoid it simply because they do not want to get wet.
Therefore, they do not tend to float on water when swimming. Because when they swim, they need more energy to control their weight. Because they can’t swim too much time on the water. So, they are not like other natural swimmer dogs.
The best life jacket for Bloodhounds
Outward Hound Granby RipStop Dog Life Jacket (97% recommended by customers)
How to Teach Bloodhounds to Swim?
- Before teaching to swim, your bloodhound dog should be checked for health and body temperature. That is more important before you teach him.
- After you should get or keep your dog in a good mood. Letting it feel like a swimming place is not harmful. Make a good surround to it. To do that, you can do something that makes it feels better, like trying to get your dog to play with you around the pool or feeding it with its favorite snacks.
- Then the dog should be wearing safety equipment until he becomes familiar with water.
- Then encourage your bloodhound dog to go to the water using some foods, toys, or snacks.
- Firstly don’t use a deep water pool. Try a few inches deep water bath or something.
- Then take time and let it feel the water. Notice it’s a reaction. If it reacts differently, you should support it to overcome its fear or uncomfortable feeling. Be with your dog, and it’s more help to become calm. Don’t keep your dog for a long time in the water as it’s the first time. It can harm its health and normal activities.
- Then take it out and let your bloodhound dog rest and clean him well. Give some favorite snacks to him because it helps to encourage him to swim.
- Then slowly try to get it some deep water bath or pool willingly and stay more time in the water. This process may take a few days.
- Then try slowly to reach it to move in the water. You can try it with a ball or a toy. Then it will be learned to swim automatically as they are born with very intelligent and strong minds.
- Finally, they will learn to swim well in any area.
Recommended reading: 8 Reasons why does my dog growl or bark at my wife?
What to Keep in Mind When Your Bloodhound Go for A Swim?
Well, you have to keep in mind several things when your bloodhound goes for a swim. Moreover, you have to be aware of these things as a responsible owner.
Check your dog’s health and body temperature.
The main thing is to check your dog’s health and body temperature before your bloodhounds go for a swim. Keep away your dog from the water. If it is suffering from a cold, fever, wound, sneezing, or surgery pain.
Choose good weather to go for a swim with your dog. Especially you must be aware of his reaction and body language on the first day because if your dog has any health issue, it may be caused to pressure your pet.
Use safety equipment.
If your dog has no enough experience with water safety, equipment is essential. There are some dog life jackets in the market to keep your safety in the water. All the time, you may give confidence to your dog about his safety.
Give exercises before swimming time.
Bloodhounds are super active dogs. Usually, they love to play, run, and do some activity with the owner as bloodhounds are very friendly and familiar with the owner.
Before going to a swim, do some exercises for your dog, like run, jump, and play. It will be helped to warm up and maintain its body temperature. Also, it helps to maintain his activeness.
Be a supporter, and encourage him to swim.
Then encourage your dog to go into the water, to stay in the water, to move in the water. If you also go into the water with your bloodhounds dog, it may be helped to your dog in the water.
It will make more support and comfort for your dog then time is an essential matter. If a dog is not familiar with water, don’t keep it in the water for a long time.
Letting It rest when It wants
The weight of an adult female bloodhound dog is 40kg-48kg. The male dog is 46kg – 54kg. In this breed, dogs have massive and strong skeletons, so they can’t stay and move for long periods in the water. Therefore let it rest for a short time while swimming.
Clean and dry after swimming
The coat of a bloodhound dog needs to clean and dry after swimming. The coat of the bloodhound is short and easy to clean and dry. Then give some enough water to the dog.
Then let your dog rest. Don’t disturb his resting or sleeping as its body becomes normal after swimming.
Recommended reading: How long do puppy blues last? (How to overcome)
Can bloodhounds swim in chlorine pools?
Adult bloodhounds dogs are OK to swim in chlorine pools as long as the chlorine is at an average diluted level. But if the chlorine concentration in the water is higher, it will harm your dog’s health.
It can harm the dog’s
- coat mainly.
First, check the chlorine concentration in the water from a pool special or hotel management. Chlorine gas is hazardous and painful when inhaled even by a human.
Bloodhounds are more sensitive than humans. If chlorine gas is inhaled, it will be significant damage to the dog’s life.
Some dogs get itchy problems and red eyes as chlorine water. Therefore the owner of the bloodhound dog should be very caring when your dog swims in chlorine water.
Another way training dogs and puppies should not keep in chlorine because they might be drunk chlorine water. It may be damaging the digestive system of the dog. So firstly, dogs should be taught not to drink chlorinated water while swimming.
Do bloodhounds have a fear of water? If so, how to overcome it?
All we have is fear. It’s a natural thing for every life. Dogs also have fears. From my point of view, dogs are generally afraid of water, including the bloodhounds. Because dogs are naturally nervous- it may be due to behaviors, size, or personality.
If your bloodhound dog fears water, you can slowly introduce your pet to overcome it.
- Play with the dog by using sprinklers
- Let Dog walk on puddles
- Never hold the umbrella over the dog when it rains
- Pet dog with a wet cloths
- So, take your dog on a walk around a lake or by the ocean
- Learn your dog to enjoy with water
- Use a floatation device
Start slowly with your dog until he overcomes his fear. Don’t push or drop your pet into the water because it can cause your Dog to go nervous. Never abandon him in the water until he gets familiar.
For the first time, wear a jacket before training the dog to swim. If your pet is going to the end of the ramp, but it’s not ready to get into the water, try calling it in your arms, or either pick it up and bring it to the water with you.
When he is quiet, walk in the water while keeping his head above the water. Make sure to talk with a relaxing voice to help keep him calm.
Put some toys, favorite snacks to get attracted to the dog to swim. Then methodically overcome the fear of water naturally.
Can bloodhounds track through water?
Bloodhounds can track through the water. But they can not go so far. The distance they reach through water is limited because of their body temperature, and also they are not good swimmers.
when they feel the scent of a something, you can clearly see the following signs;
- Raise ears
Things to be aware
● First, you have to choose a proper place for your dog to swim because bloodhounds are not very good swimmers. An especially not very deep area like a swimming pool, small tank, pods. Not only that but also very fast flowing water is not suitable for bloodhounds dogs.
● Check the concentration of chlorine in the water and water temperature and body temperature and dog’s health.
● There is some equipment for training dogs and puppies for the dog’s safety. When you choose a life safety jacket for your bloodhound dog, concern your dog size and comfort.
● Learn your dog to enjoy with water it may be helped you to overcome its fears
● Don’t force your dog to swim. Bloodhounds are very intelligent dog breeds. They learn automatically through experiences.
● Learn your dog not to drink water when it is swimming
● Learning canine CPR mouth to nose resuscitation and chest compressions could save a dog’s life in an emergency.
● If it is not feeling good in the water, then take it out immediately then let it rest.
● Try to get into the water with your dog to save and support your dog.
● Don’t leave your dog in the water alone if he didn’t know about protecting the water and moving in the water.
● Appreciate your bloodhound dog after swimming with warm words. It makes dogs happy and confident.
● Clean and dry it’s coat after swimming is an essential thing to become average body temperature after swimming.
● After all, give it enough water to drink and give your dog some if it’s needed.
Animals have rights like us, including bloodhound dogs. Some bloodhounds like to swim, but some are not. But do not get discouraged. As I mentioned above, you can gradually train your bloodhound for swimming.
The most important thing you may stay with your dog until he is familiar with water. Always take care of your bloodhound when he swims in the pool or somewhere. Never leave your pal in the water alone. If you train your bloodhound dog properly, you can have a lot of fun swimming with your buddy.