If you are already a Basset hound owner and wondering if your dog needs another companion, You are in the right place. So, here we gonna discuss that matter and other related concerns. So, let’s dive right in.
Do basset hounds need a companion? Since Basset hounds are friendly creatures, they love to have a companion with them. It gives them physical and mental health benefits. In fact, getting another dog would help them eliminate various behavioral issues while providing several benefits indirectly.
It doesn’t matter if the companion is a human or another dog, Basset hounds always prefer to have company all the time. But, if the new companion is another dog, you must be aware of numerous things to prevent some unexpected difficulties. So, let’s understand all the things you need to know about this matter.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why does your Basset hound might need a companion?
- 2 When does your Basset hound need a companion?
- 3 How to tell if your Basset hound needs a companion?
- 4 Which breed is best for your Basset hound?
- 5 Does gender matter when finding a company for your dog?
- 6 What to consider when getting a companion for your Basset hound?
- 7 Things to be aware of
- 8 Conclusion
Why does your Basset hound might need a companion?
A few months ago, an old friend of mine asked me a few questions about Basset hounds. After responding to him, I searched the internet to see if there was enough information about them.
Since there was not enough information about them, I decided to do some research on them. So, I went to see a few Basset hound owners I know just to come up with reliable information.
As a result, I crafted a series of articles about Basset hounds.
As my experiences go, your basset hound may need another dog for a number of reasons.
- It provides automatic exercise.
- It helps to eliminate loads of behavior issues.
- It helps to get rid of psychological issues in your Basset hound.
- No need to worry about leaving your Basset hound alone during the day.
- It can help with socialization
It provides automatic exercise.
If your Basset hound has a companion to play with, both of them will get good exercise on their own. It’s a huge advantage and so beneficial for their good health being.
So, if you have a backyard, you don’t wanna give everyday walks for your basset hound. It’s a huge time saver!
It helps to eliminate loads of behavior issues.
Usually, Basset hounds tend to have several behavioral issues such as,
- Barking or Whining
So, having a companion with your dog at all times can help eliminate those types of behavioral problems.
It helps to get rid of psychological issues in your Basset hound.
Basset hounds are a very cuddly and affectionate dog breed that requires tons of attention from its owners. So, Psychological problems, such as separation anxiety, can easily develop.
But having a pal with your dog all the time would help to get rid of those kinds of psychological issues.
No need to worry about leaving your Basset hound alone during the day.
If you are kind of a busy person and used to leave your dog alone during the day, getting another dog would be a great idea!
In fact, if you have a fenced yard, you can let your basset hound and its pal live outside during the day. So, they have a huge space for navigating and playing.
It can help with socialization
I personally know that many dog owners are having a hard time socializing with their dogs. In fact, the Basset hounds are a little bit stubborn dog breed and slightly hard to train. So, getting another pal to his pack is a nice way to socialize your dog.
When does your Basset hound need a companion?
This is a really important problem. Because you cannot bring another dog whenever you want. I mean if your Basset hound is a still puppy, this is not a suitable time, is it?
If you have positive answers for the following matters, That means it’s time to bring the second dog into your home!
- Is your basset hound still a puppy? If so, this is not a suitable time.
- Is your dog completely trained? If not, You need to spend more time training him.
- What about your current schedule? If it’s a kind of a busy schedule, this isn’t a suitable time for such a thing. Because training and socialization and adapting the new pal to your home take considerable effort and time.
- Do your family members agree with your decision?
I hope this makes sense. But, Have you thought about whether your basset hound needs another dog?
How to tell if your Basset hound needs a companion?
Well, in order to understand this, you have to do small research and observation about your dog. Because you are going to make a massive difference to his life.
Despite the dog’s common preference to hang out with other dogs, some dogs won’t enjoy having another dog in their territory.
So, let’s understand how you can do your own observation about your basset hound!
- How does your basset hound behave when another dog visits your home?
- Here I wanna emphasize that usually basset hounds don’t tend to be aggressive to other dogs on the road or dog parks. That’s basically because it’s not their territory. So, you need to observe how does your dog reacts when another dog comes to your house.
- Does your dog not enjoy play sessions?
- If you feel that your basset hound is no longer enjoying outdoor sports sessions, that’s basically because of discomfort after engaging in the same thing.
- How do you feel about your dog’s personality compared to other basset hounds?
- If it seems very different, there must be something wrong with your dog. Sometimes it can be due to lack of exercises, training, or psychological issues. In such a case, You have to take some time to correct his personality. Try to take advice from a Vet or a dog behaviorist.
- Does your basset hound hang out with other dogs?
- Observe your dog’s behavior around other dogs. If he shows a very friendly demeanor, that’s a kind of positive sign.
Which breed is best for your Basset hound?
When it comes to finding a well-suited companion for your Basset hound, you must be very careful with this in order to prevent some unwanted problems that could occur over time.
So, here are some breeds that are best suited for your dog.
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- Cocker spaniels
- Border collies
Since Basset hounds are low energetic dogs, high energetic dogs are not suitable for them. So, don’t take high energetic dogs like Dobermans, Vizslas, Weimaraner, Rottweilers, etc.
Does gender matter when finding a company for your dog?
In most cases, gender matters when you getting a new companion for your Basset hound. Because the majority of dogs have a natural tendency to be attached to opposite-gender dogs.
In fact, If both dogs are of the same gender dogs, some unwanted issues can be developed over time. The dominant issue is an excellent example of that. Because it has a high chance of competing with each other over toys, food, and even the owner’s affection.
But, I have seen numerous times same-gender dogs live in the same house without any problem. Because of that, you need to understand what is the best preference of your Basset hound.
So, you can easily do that by observing his/her behavior in dog parks. Check whether how he reacts when he approaches both female and male dogs. If there is no difference, I recommend taking an opposite-gender companion for your Basset hound.
What to consider when getting a companion for your Basset hound?
There are several things you wanna consider when buying a second dog. So, here they are,
- Think about your financial status. Do you ready to spend some extra money on a monthly basis?
- Can you set aside some extra time for your new dog for several months?
- Think about the space in your house. Is it sufficient for two dogs?
- The amount of cleaning you should do is doubled. Can you tolerate such a thing?
- Excercise needs and nutrition needs could be different. Can you adapt a such a situation?
- If one dog gets sicked, the second dog is also more likely to get sick.
- What about your family members? Do they agree with your decision?
- Two dogs mean, more frequent barking. Do you have a plan to stop such behaviors?
- You have to spend so much time during its adjustment time. Can you do that?
I think this makes sense to you.
Things to be aware of
If you decide to bring a companion for your basset hound, there are always several things you should be aware of. So, in this section, let’s figure out what they are
Basset hounds can easily become jealous.
This is something you really wanna be aware of. Because puppies are really, really cute and cuddly. So, what I wanna emphasize here is that don’t reduce the affection, love, attention or caring toward your residential basset hound.
Because it could easily be caused them to become jealous. In fact, your residential dog might attempt to do some kind of a harmful thing to his new companion.
Bad traits could transfer
Before getting the second dog, you need to make sure that the residential basset hound doesn’t have any kind of bad trait or bad behavior. If so, it could easily transfer to the new pal also.
Be aware of heights
In fact, if there is any kind of a pond or deep places, consider building a fence around it or simply close it.
Always buy a purebred dog.
If you decided to bring another companion to your Basset hound, try to find a purebred puppy in your preferer breed without being rush.
There are so many advantages of having a purebred dog instead of a mixed one. Please read the articles below to get a better idea.
Puppy-proof your home
You know what, destructive puppy behavior is quite a common thing. So, if you wanna save your pillows or couch without being destroyed, be sure to puppy-proof your home. Thank me later!
If there are any kind of hazardous things in your house, remove them or take necessary actions.
It really doesn’t matter Whether you are aware of it or not, houses are full of hazardous places for puppies because they still don’t have a good idea about the outside world.
So, make sure to keep the following things away from your dog.
- All electrical cords.
- Toxic houseplants
- Human food
- Trash cans
- Laundry detergents
- Coins or metals
- Plastic bags, etc.
Maybe I missed something. If so, you have to use your common sense as a responsible owner.
Many people love these lovable, ground creatures. But, After owning one of them, there are many difficulties that arise automatically. In this article, we have discussed in detail whether Basset hounds need another companion. So, I hope you found this helpful. Thank you!